Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Disney College program: Manageable Packing List

When I did my program back in 2014, I made an extreme packing list  outlining everything you could bring on the program by combining hundreds of packing lists to just one. That list is more if you are driving down and can't bring everything in the world, but lets face it if you are flying you still may pack to much.

When I went down my parents drove me down, but when I came back it wasn't easy getting everything on the plane. I had to ship a few boxes back and even pay airline fees. Yes, I over packed and even for a male.

You can use my extreme packing list for suggestions, but this is a new improved packing list that will go through everything you really need, but I will focus on a flying list more as apposed to driving since I will be flying for my next program. However, I will still make notes along the way for the people who decided to drive to California or Florida.

*Indicates that you may want to buy when you get their if flying
**Items you could talk to your roommates about splitting the cost if sharing the items


Bedroom

If you are in a room with bunk beds, bed risers will not work for any of the beds.

  1. Sheets* (On a budget bring with you)
  2. Pillow Cases
  3. Pillows*
  4. Blankets* (On a budget bring with you)
  5. Mattress cover*
  6. mattress pad*
  7. Push pins
  8. Extension cord
  9. Stuffed animals
  10. Hangers* (if you have the room bring them)
  11. Flash light
  12. Sleeping mask
  13. Pictures and decorations
  14. Calendar
  15. Cable splitter/Cord if bring a TV for room
  16. Command strips
  17. Alarm Clock
Bathroom

Each bathroom has a trash can inside, but are welcome to bring your own.
One roll of toilet paper is provided in each bathroom once you arrive.**
  1. Shower Certain
  2. Towels
  3. Washcloth
  4. Toothbrush & toothpaste
  5. Bath rug**
  6. Shaving cream
  7. Shaver
  8. Hand soap
  9. Body soap
  10. Shampoo
  11. Q-tips
  12. Lotion
  13. Vaseline
  14. Sunscreen
  15. Mouth Wash
  16. Medicine/vitamins
  17. Iron

Clothes

You really don't need a lot of clothes or shoes on your program. Most of the time you will be in your costume. For work shoes you will have to wait until you are down there to see what shoes you will need. Some roles will provide shows for you like custodial or quick service.

As for undergarments that is up to you. For me I brought 20 pairs of white socks, 4 black socks and 30 underwear. This may let you wash a lot less and even save money.

Since I was in my costume much I didn't even use a lot of my clothes and was in them for only a few hours.

If you are flying this will save room in your luggage, so you have more room for other things.
  1. 4-5 t-shirts
  2. 4-5 shorts
  3. 2-3 pants
  4. 1-2 dress pants
  5. 1-2 pairs of daily shoes
  6. 1-2 dress shoes
  7. 1-2 sweatshirts/hoodies
  8. 2-3 PJs
  9. 1-2 jammers
  10. 2-3 Jackets
  11. Belt
  12. Tie
  13. Dress shirt
  14. Suit/Sport Jacket
Electronics
  1. Modem
  2. Laptop
  3. Cell phone/charger
  4. TV

Kitchen/Living room

Disney does provide plates, bowls, cups, silverware, pots and pans,  strainer, measuring spoons (cups I forget), spatula, and some other little things that I can't think of. If you do don't have these things when you arrive go to the housing office and let them know you don't have it. Then they will have you fill out a form of everything wrong with the apartments and the items you don't have. Then they will give you the stuff that you don't have and put in work order for the apartment.

You can bring more cooking utensils , if you really like to cook, but what they have is okay and will should you through. I didn't get anything extra things as well for my roommates and we were just fine using hat Disney provided us with.

For things Like toilet paper, paper towels, and food that would be commonly shared. It is probably best to wait until you get their to decided to see what your roommate what to do.  It may be cheaper by splitting the cost or rotating on who buys it each time the products run out.
My big packing list gives you ideas on what you could bring for the kitchen.

Cleaning supplies
If you are flying don't bring these and buy when you get down there. Vacuums are provided in the clubhouse for WDW and in the apartment for DL. Disney does provide you with a some cleaning supplies as well, but after that you will need to get them yourselves. This is another item that you may want to consider splitting the cost.


Items not allowed
  1. Candles
  2. Bikes (Disneyland is allowed)
  3. Pets
  4. Electronic Blanks
  5. Shot Glasses (allowed if you are in a Non-wellness (21+)  Apartment)
  6. Weapons of any kind and even toys

Hope this helps and limits yourself to what you pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment